Sunday 18 May 2008

going to the dogs

Tonight I went to The Walthamstow Stadium for the Saturday night greyhound races. 'The Dogs' is like a parallel universe - the atmosphere is a cross between an old fashioned working mens club and a bingo hall. Attracting a largely working class crowd, it is a fun night out for those of us who hail from that background. For others it might be more anthropological.

While the minimum bet is 10p, I usually push the boat out and 'invest' £1. I worked hard to lose on 13 straight races. I managed to pick the winner of the final race. The expedition therefore ended on a high note.

Spending the evening with a large group of queer folk, surrounded by tough as old boots (but soft inside) working class types, it felt as if I had become a venn diagram. My life intersected perfectly

High camp AND scampi and chips. Can not be beaten

No comments: