Tuesday 27 May 2008

Oh, to be fabulous and gay

I've been thinking lately about the term 'gay lifestyle'. What does it mean? My lifestyle consists of going to work and coming home again - nothing especially gay about that.

I do have fabulous friends - I suppose that might qualify and I do have good taste in music and I suit hats....and despite my advancing years I dance like a maniac and I like champagne. Is this my 'gay' lifestyle?

Often the term 'gay lifestyle' is used in a disapproving tone. 'I don't want my children exposed to the gay lifestyle' and so on. This is why I object to it so much.

I also hate 'gay wedding' (often used by those getting hitched) It's a wedding. When we label our nuptials 'gay' we somehow make them less than they are. Or am I being homophobic?

Either way I'm off to my gay bed, to have a gay dream (I hope) and tomorrow? Well tomorrow I shall be as fabulously gay as I was today - eating my gay lunch, sitting on the gay tube, having a gay meeting or two........

No comments: